Sunday, October 12, 2014

Box Troll Costume Contest

My first post on this blog! Welcome!

So.....once upon a time I decided to enter the:  Amazon.com "Think Inside The Box" Contest
Think Inside the Box
Then I was selected as a finalist...and some people were teasing me that my Box Trolls looked like they could be dummies, not real people costumes.

So alas I have created this post and this blog to show how I love to create. And what exactly I do, so that in the small chance that you too would like to make a Box Troll Costume or any other crazy thing in the future...

You can use all of my ideas:)

So here's how it went.

I took some head-sizish boxes.






I then looked at a picture of some Box Trolls such as this from http://boxtrolls.com/ :)  It is a cute show, you should go see it...the Box Trolls are by far the best part! They are adorable!



Then I shaped the boxes with some scissors and tape and other pieces of cardboard to shape the features. Then I covered them in paper mache like this. We had to try with a box :)

 Then I painted them with acrylics:)

 

Until they were juuuust right

 Then I bought some great light blue stretchy shirts from Deseret Industries, and sewed my little Binna and Chris outfits and four-fingered gloves. These were then painted with acrylics too for texture, and the gloves were stuffed with batting.










The shoes I made with cardboard and covered with fabric and painted. The foot bandages are fabric strips painted for texture. I will spare you a picture of Chris in just his stretchy shirt (I am the only one to enjoy those photos) :) But here is my cutie...performer.










With her mask









Then I got my boxes soaking wet outside and let them dry out to make them look older. Then made the paper labels for the boxes on good 'ol Microsoft Word and printed them and glued them and dirtied them up. (logos removed for Copyrights) Like so....


Then we went to the park for a photo shoot and I made my husband Chris use his super muscle strength to take her picture on his bicep...and head. They were such good sports (I may have been sneaking M&M's into Binna's mouth between shots to keep her happy). And yes, they can see great through the mouths:)



And those are our Box Trolls:)

Creating is fun!

Please go vote for us this week!!!!



VOTE HERE 


10 comments:

  1. That is amazing! I am super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite a talent you have dear girl! It was an honor to vote for you! Love ya, Marianne Marlor

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing! Can you share how long they took you to make and any other helpful tips? We dress up as a family of 6 every year and my youngest son is trying to convince everyone of Box Trolls. I think we could do the evil man, the girl, fish and then have to figure out actual heads for three. I've been know to be called crazy and stay up till wee hours making costumes but wondered if it is even doable. I'm also kind of anal when it comes to costumes wanting them to look more like the character then just throwing a box on. Yours are incredible...any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama T! I would love to send you some information. What is your email? That sounds like so much fun!

      Delete
    2. stowry@gmail.com
      I look forward to hearing from you!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love these! I'm attempting to make two box troll costumes for my boys. Can you tell me what brand and color of paint you used? mary_annam@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I shall use your blog as lessons to make a costume for my son. Your creations are eggs-cellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please email me id like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind I also will be making this costume for my son this Halloween yours is perfect I love it!!! I hope mines come out as close as yours I'm crossing my fingers this is the first time I'll be making something like this I'm sooooooo excited alexandracolunga54@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete