Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Tried something new...Faux Stained Glass...SOOOO Fun!! Try it!!!!

So my wonderful Church - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints hosts an "International Art Competition" every three years. It has been one of my life goals to enter this competition...and I did it!


I don't feel very "expert" in any art medium so I determined to try something new. I want to learn how to do stained glass someday...but it takes a lot of special tools and such so I tried another way this time around. It is called Faux Stained Glass, with stick-on leading and "fake glass" paint. If you want a fun project you should try it!
The theme for the competition was "Tell me the Stories of Jesus." I love the Savior and had a very difficult time choosing one of His stories to portray, but this one really stuck with me...do you know it?








Why I chose this story --During the October 2014 General Conference President Monson spoke about how we can walk with the Savior as we come to know Him better. In my mind and heart I know that I surely want to know Him better. I began a more in-depth study of the New Testament and have since discovered many rich and treasured teachings and experiences from the Savior’s life that I had not recognized before.  
One such experience is that of a Fig Tree in Mark 11. Upon seeing the beautiful leaf-filled fig tree, the Savior sought “haply” to partake of the fruit thereon only to find it bare. On a fig tree the fruit buds always come before the leaves, so the leaves should have been a clear sign of a fig-filled tree. Because of its barrenness the Savior “cursed” the tree and the disciples observed the next day that it had “withered away” and “dried up from the roots.” 
As I have considered this story, I have been touched by the Savior’s reasoning, His symbolism, and the response of the disciples witnessing the seemingly healthy-to-withered tree. I have come to know three things from this fig tree. First, I know the Savior has power over all things, for He is our creator. Second, I know I do not ever want to be like the fig tree. I want the Savior to know me by my righteous fruits as I live up to both my purpose and potential. Lastly, I am so grateful for the Fig Tree, with both its leaves and its withered branches, because it helps me to know my Savior better. 

I will post about the process soon...you really should try it:)





No comments:

Post a Comment